[opensource] Today's FREE Tech Briefing: Second Life in Action: Learning, Collaboration, Innovation, and More!

Technology Training djac at stanford.edu
Fri Feb 4 09:11:56 PST 2011

Trouble viewing? Open in web browser.

IT Services Technology Training
Tech Briefing

techbriefing.stanford.edu  |  techtraining.stanford.edu

Tech Briefings are informal, interactive seminars on computer-related
topics of interest to the Stanford Community. These FREE sessions are
open to everyone - faculty, staff, and students - with no registration
required. This is your opportunity to get technology updates from and
ask questions of subject-matter experts.

To see the latest schedule as it's posted, go to
techbriefing.stanford.edu.

This week's free Tech Briefing:

Second Life in Action
Learning, Collaboration, Innovation, and More!

TODAY -- 2:00-3:30 p.m.

LOCATION: Turing Auditorium (Polya Hall, Room 111)
(http://campus-map.stanford.edu/index.cfm?ID=14-160)

PRESENTERS: Pierre Khawand, People | OnTheGo, and Deni Wicklund,
Stanford University Libraries

JOIN US!

Create your free Second Life account and avatar at http://www.secondlife.com
Bring a laptop to the presentation to get access to Pierre's Second
Life "Island"
Unable to attend? Join Deni at the SU Library island (link opens in
Second Life) at 2pm
In this session, we will review how innovative organizations are using
the Second Life platform and tools to increase learning,
collaboration, and innovation.

We will "literally" walk through some case studies that will help us
better understand the benefits and applications of this platform. But
that is not all, we will also demonstrate how interactive exercises
and simulations are conducted, so you can experience Virtual Worlds
more fully as a fascinating and transformational learning and team
building environment!

In addition, we will visit the Stanford Libraries Island in Second
Life and walk through the numerous resources that are available on the
island in addition to demonstrating how you can make use of the island
as a learning, meeting, and collaboration virtual workspace.

UPCOMING TRAINING OF INTEREST

Accomplishing More Virtually - in Second Life (Three-part series)
(ITS-0230) - $150 (for all three sessions)
- Thursday, February 17, 9:30-11:30
- Thursday, February 24, 9:30-11:30
- Thursday, March 3, 9:30-11:30

Create an avatar and experience training in Second Life, a virtual
world!

Explore the future of virtual worlds as training and collaboration
platforms, and learn the fundamentals of Second Life to better
understand its business applications.

Click here for more information.

STAP Funds apply -- register at axess.stanford.edu

Next Tech Briefing: Open Social at Stanford
Date: Friday, February 11, 2:00 - 3:30pm

Presenters: Bruce Vincent and Scotty Logan, IT Services

OpenSocial is a published set of programming interface specifications
originally targeting integration of social networking applications and
services.

At this Tech Briefing, we will cover some of what OpenSocial is and
the various ways it's been used both inside and outside social
networking.

Streaming video is now available for select Tech Briefings

To see the latest filmed Tech Briefings, visit the Video Series site.

To subscribe to the Tech Briefings RSS feed via Stanford Events, point
your RSS reader/browser/catcher to: http://events.stanford.edu/xml/byOrganization/144/rss.xml
.

For more information, visit the Tech Briefing web site at
techbriefings.stanford.edu, or contact Technology Training at 723-4391.

Technology Training
techtraining.stanford.edu
(650) 723-4391