[opensource] Today's FREE Tech Briefing - UNIX at Stanford

Technology Training djac at stanford.edu
Fri Sep 16 09:58:38 PDT 2011

Trouble viewing? Open in web browser.

Tech Briefings are informal, interactive seminars on computer-related
topics of interest to the Stanford Community.
This is your opportunity to get technology updates from and ask
questions of subject-matter experts.
See the latest schedule at techbriefing.stanford.edu.

This week's free Tech Briefing:

UNIX at Stanford

TODAY -- 2:00 - 3:30 p.m.

LOCATION: Turing Auditorium (Polya Hall, Room 111

PRESENTERS: Mark Branom, with Adam Seishas, IT Services

UNIX is the command line operating system that governs the main
Stanford file system infrastructure, including all of the content
found on the main Stanford web pages. Understanding how UNIX works
makes it easier to manage, create content, and manipulate files on the
Stanford servers.

In this session, learn basic UNIX commands, file structure and
management, as well as some of the most useful and popular tools like:

- File structure/management (mkdir, cd, rm, mv)
- Editors (EMACS and Pico)
- Setting your .login and .project files
- Creating aliases
- Email (Pine, elm, mail, mh)
- Newsreaders (slrn)
- Finding people (finger)
- Finding machines (ping, traceroute)
- Granting access (pts)

Come with questions, and we'll do our best to answer them!

Next Tech Briefing: Multitasking: How it is changing the way children
and adults think and feel
Friday, September 23, 2:00 - 3:30 p.m.

For those who missed Prof. Cliff Nass' presentation at last spring's
IT Open House, we'll show the video of his talk on his team's highly
cited research on electronic multi-tasking.

After the video, Dr. Danielle Lottridge, Prof. Nass' Post Doctoral
Assistant on the project, will fill us in on the research completed
since the spring and answer questions about the video and about
current and future research efforts.

Miss a Tech Briefing? Session Videos are now available!

To see the latest filmed Tech Briefings, visit the Video Series site.

To subscribe to the Tech Briefings RSS feed via Stanford Events, point
your RSS reader/browser/catcher to: http://events.stanford.edu/xml/byOrganization/144/rss.xml
.

QUESTIONS? Call Technology Training at 723-4391 or send email to techtraining at stanford.edu
.