[opensource] Do you know anything about the Academy of Science and Engineering (ASE)?

Todd Davies davies at stanford.edu
Wed Aug 13 17:21:12 PDT 2014

Hi, all,

I am interested in possibly submitting a paper with students to an
upcoming conference sponsored by the Academy of Science and Engineering
(ASE), which seems to be a relatively new entity headquartered in north
carolina (http://www.scienceengineeringacademy.org/asesite/). ASE is a bit
mysterious, and I have found virtually no third party content about it on
the Web - it has no Wikipedia entry that I can find. They have apparently
taken over a few IEEE conferences like SocialCom and PASSAT, so that IEEE
is no longer sponsoring those conferences. ASE has its own digital
library, which says it is an open library (http://www.ase360.org/), and
they seem to be aiming for academic venues for their latest conferences
and are keeping reg fees lower than ACM and IEEE. They list impressive
orgs as sponsors, like NSF and NIH. But there is no indication of who the
people are who actually run ASE, that I have been able to find.

ASE held some recent conferences at Stanford (e.g.
http://www.scienceengineering.org/ase/conference/2014/socialcom/sanjose/website/).
Do any of you know about ASE? Is it a stable organization? Is their
digital library likely to have staying power?

Todd

Todd Davies                   ***  email: davies at stanford.edu
Symbolic Systems Program      ***  phone: 1-650-723-4091
Stanford University           ***  fax: 1-650-723-5666
Stanford, CA, 94305-2150      ***  web: www.stanford.edu/~davies
USA                           ***  office: 460-040C