[p4-feedback] Problems with OWL/XML files

Rörd Hinrichsen roerd.hinrichsen at
Sun Apr 5 08:30:25 PDT 2009

I'm using Protégé 4 (build 109) with files in the OWL/XML format.

I've encountered the following problems and I'd like to know if these
are (known?) bugs in Protégé or what might otherwise be the problem:

1) Corrupted files:

Protégé saves corrupted XML files. Inside the doctype declaration, this line:

     <!ENTITY owl2xml "" >

is missing the name ("owl2xml") and inside this namespace attribute,
the name ("base") is also missing:

2) Problems with importing another ontology:

If I try to import the other ontology by the option "Import an
ontology that is contained in one of the ontology libraries." and
choose its URI, it works. But if I choose the option "Import am
ontology contained in a specific file.", it doesn't work (it's
displaying "(Not loaded)"), and the displayed URI of the file isn't
its own, it's "" instead.

Thanks in advance