[p4-feedback] PromptDiff

Thomas Schneider schneidt at cs.man.ac.uk
Wed Apr 15 07:44:56 PDT 2009

Hi Muhammad,

as for (1), you might get an answer from the developers of PromptDiff
on the Protégé-OWL mailing list.

As for (2) and (3), the answers very much depend on what exactly you
want to compare. Are you interested in knowing whether two ontologies
contain the same set of axioms? Strictly or subject to structural
transformation? Or do you want to know whether two ontologies are
equivalent, i.e., have the same entailments? The latter is a very
difficult task; it's even undecidable for most description logics. An
efficient algorithm has only been found for ontologies in the profile
EL, see [1].

I know of a tool that is being developed by Ernesto Jimenez Ruiz and
others, which aims at providing a content management system for
ontologies, similarly to CVS/SVN. I believe it contains some diffing
as well. Please have a look at Ernesto's webpage [2].

Hope this helps

Thomas

[1] Boris Konev, Dirk Walther, and Frank Wolter: The logical
difference problem for description logic terminologies, Proceedings of
IJCAR-2008.
Paper and extended report under http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~frank/publ/logdiff.pdf
  and http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~frank/publ/ijcar08full.pdf .

[2] http://krono.act.uji.es/people/Ernesto/contentcvs