[p4-feedback] Why does the expression editor remove essential parentheses?

Patrick McCrae patrick.mccrae at informatik.uni-hamburg.de
Thu Apr 16 04:45:42 PDT 2009

Hi, List -

I just noticed an editor phenomenon of which I am inclined to believe it
is a bug.

When I include the following 'Equivalent Classes' expression, the outer
parentheses after the first 'and' get removed when I save, close and
re-open the ontology.

My Input:

Situation.Concept
and (     (  not (has_AGENT some Thing)
             and has_RECIPIENT exactly 1 Entity.Concept
             and has_THEME exactly 1 Entity.Concept
          )
          or
          (  not (has_RECIPIENT some Thing)
             and has_AGENT exactly 1 Entity.Concept
             and has_THEME exactly 1 Entity.Concept
          )
          or
          (  not (has_THEME some Thing)
             and has_AGENT exactly 1 Entity.Concept
             and has_RECIPIENT exactly 1 Entity.Concept
          )
     )

Received Output after saving, closing and re-opening the ontology:

Situation.Concept
and       (  not (has_AGENT some Thing)
             and has_RECIPIENT exactly 1 Entity.Concept
             and has_THEME exactly 1 Entity.Concept
          )
          or
          (  not (has_RECIPIENT some Thing)
             and has_AGENT exactly 1 Entity.Concept
             and has_THEME exactly 1 Entity.Concept
          )
          or
          (  not (has_THEME some Thing)
             and has_AGENT exactly 1 Entity.Concept
             and has_RECIPIENT exactly 1 Entity.Concept
          )

The resulting logical expression clearly is not equivalent to the
original one which contain the parentheses. I am assuming some of the
incorrect categorisation results I obtain are caused by this re-write.

Is this a problem with the expression editor?

Best regards -

Pat

P. S.: I attach the ontology in which I observed the problem. The
specific class from which the example is taken is Thing >
Ontological.Concept > Situation.Concept > Binary.Situation.
_______________________

Patrick McCrae
<http://cinacs.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17&Itemid=85>

CINACS Graduate Research Group