[p4-feedback] PromptDiff

Nick Drummond nick.drummond at cs.manchester.ac.uk
Fri Apr 17 09:10:58 PDT 2009

Hi Mohammed,

There is nothing saying that entites mentioned in an ontology must have the
same base URI as the ontology.
This is just the default behaviour of Protege. If you wish to change this
then see the options for creating new entities [1].

The qname renderer will show everything in protege qualified with a prefix
(that you can specify - see below) denoting what its base URI is.
eg if you set "sample" as a prefix for "
http://www.semanticweb.org/ontologies/2009/3/sample.owl#"
then "http://www.semanticweb.org/ontologies/2009/3/sample.owl#Ankit" will
render as "sample:Ankit"

To set this:
- File | Preferences | Renderer - select qname renderer
- the namespaces button will now be available - click this and you will see
the default prefixes that exist - you can add yours by hand or if you click
"Generate prefix mappings..." and select your loaded ontology it will try to
do this for you.

Please see [2] for more details about naming in OWL and P4.

Nick

[1]
http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/index.php/Protege4NamingAndRendering#New_entity_creation_preferences
[2] http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/index.php/Protege4NamingAndRendering