Search Mailing List Archives


Limit search to: Subject & Body Subject Author
Sort by: Reverse Sort
Limit to: All This Week Last Week This Month Last Month
Select Date Range     through    

[p4-feedback] Problems with data properties and disjointness

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Wed Apr 22 16:40:05 PDT 2009


I can add a little information to this.  I suspect that part of the  
problem here is that the OWL 1.1/2.0 -> RDF mapping has been a bit of  
a moving target.  In owl 1.1 [1], the statement that properties dpi  
and dpj are disjoint is represented as

     T(dpi) owl11:disjointDataProperties T(dpj)

In owl 2.0 [2],  you have two choices of syntax.  Either

     T(DPE1) owl:propertyDisjointWith T(DPE2)

or

     _:x rdf:type owl:AllDisjointProperties .
    _:x owl:members T(SEQ DPE1 ... DPEn)

It looks like protege 4 got stuck in the middle of this transition  
somehow.  It does read and write the second version of the owl 2.0  
format correctly.   It also writes a version of the pairwise  
disjointness property that is somewhere between the owl 1.1 version  
and the owl 2.0 version.  But as far as I can tell it cannot read  
either version of the pairwise disjointness property.

-Timothy


[1] http://www.webont.org/owl/1.1/rdf_mapping.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/WD-owl2-mapping-to-rdf-20090421/

On Apr 22, 2009, at 2:34 AM, S Essaid wrote:


> Hello,
>
> Several observations:
>
> 1.  Disjoint declarations in RDF/XML not being recognized when file  
> is opened. I attached an example file (DisjointNotReadIn.owl) and P4  
> will not show the disjoint declaration in this OWL file. This is not  
> a problem if OWL/XML is used.
>
> 2.  If I declare three data properties ("a", "b", "c"), select "a",  
> click disjoint icon, select "b" and "c" (in the same window, not one  
> at a time), then all three are declared all different. This is not  
> what I meant, "b" and "c" should not be disjoint from each other. It  
> seams that selecting more than one property in the disjoint  
> selection window is interpreted as indicating that all properties  
> involved should be declared all disjoint.
>
> 3. When I tried to correct the error in 2 by selecting "b" and  
> removing "c" as a disjoint (by clicking on "a" from the disjoint  
> selection window that started with both "a" and "c" highlighted),  
> then "c" lost its declaration as being disjoint from "a". Then if I  
> select "c" in the list of properties and try to add "a" as a  
> disjoint property, nothing happens. If I go to "a" and try to add  
> "c" as a disjoint, again nothing happens.
>
> 4.  Here are files for each of the following steps. File  
> correctingalldisjoint.1.owl is after issue 2 above. File  
> correctingalldisjoint.2.owl is after issue 3 above.
>
> 5.  Another interesting situation can be reproduced like this (I was  
> using OWL/XML):
> Create aa, bb, cc as data properties.
> Select aa and click disjoint properties.
> Select both bb and cc and click ok. (all disjoint will created for  
> aa, bb, cc)
> Select bb and double click the disjoint statement, both aa and cc  
> will be highlighted, click on aa and then ok. The all disjoint is  
> now removed (looking at the RDF/XML)
> Select cc and click disjoint properties, aa is highlighted, click aa  
> again and then ok. Nothing happens.
> Select aa and click disjoint properties icon. Click cc and then ok.  
> Nothing happens to aa. Look at bb, cc was add as a disjoint to bb  
> instead of cc being added to aa.
> After playing around by selecting one of the properties and adding  
> the other as a disjoint ( I think it was after I selected bb and  
> removed cc as a disjoint and then came back to bb and tried to add  
> cc again as a disjoint) I got the RDF/XML shown in the attached  
> interesting.owl file.
>
> 6  Some of these issues were tried using object properties and I  
> noticed some of the same problems.
>
> 7  Everything worked as expected if I do not select more than one  
> property as a disjoint from the selection window. But doing this  
> will not create all disjoint statements in the RDF/XML  even if they  
> are appropriate. It seams that applying disjoint properties does not  
> work correctly once an all disjoint statement is created by  
> selecting more than one disjoint property from the selection window.  
> Even when all the disjoints are later removed from all the  
> properties (confirmed by looking at the RDF/XML) the user interface  
> still does not behave correctly. The ontology has to be closed and  
> reopened to fix this issue. The lonely all different declaration can  
> be removed by removing the empty disjoint entry (empty in the GUI)  
> for that property.
>
> 8  Another strange issue is shown in the attached screenshot. I was  
> trying to add dt:bb as a disjoint property to dt:dd. You can see  
> dt:dd selected on the left and on the right is the window for  
> selecting the disjoint property. Notice that dt:aa and its  
> subproperties are not visible in the selection window.
>
> Thanks,
> Shahim
> <DisjointNotReadIn.owl><correctingalldisjoint. 
> 1.owl><correctingalldisjoint. 
> 2 
> .owl 
> > 
> < 
> strange 
> .owl 
> > 
> <MissingProperties.JPG>_______________________________________________
> p4-feedback mailing list
> p4-feedback at lists.stanford.edu
> https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/p4-feedback




More information about the p4-feedback mailing list