[p4-feedback] Adding a class to an ontology

Thomas Schneider schneidt at
Sun Apr 26 13:06:22 PDT 2009

Hi José,

first of all, there's brilliant documentation and step-by-step examples for
using the OWL API at:

As for adding entities to your ontology, you need to call the appropriate
methods of the class OWLDataFactory, see Javadoc of the OWL API. If you
read the first two examples under the above URL, you'll find out the details.

As for finding the number of GCI (hidden GCI), I've just found the classes
GCICount and HiddenGCICount in the OWL API, see Javadoc again. I haven't
used them yet, so can't say how exactly they work. Maybe others can ...

secevalliv at schrieb:
> Hi all,
> I'm developing a plug-in for Protege 4.0 and I need to add classes, data
> properties, object properties and instances to the active ontology. I know
> how to access de active ontology but I dont know how to add the entities I
> need. Can you help me find what I'm missing?
> On the other hand, I need to get the  CGI count and hidden CGI count from an
> ontology. I was told I need to use the DLExpressivityChecker but I couldnt
> figure out how to get the CGIs. Does anyone know how to get the CGIs?
> Thanks in advance,
> José Villaveces
> p4-feedback at

- --
|  Dr Thomas Schneider                            schneider at |
|  School of Computer Science |
|  Kilburn Building, Room 2.114                    phone +44 161 2756136 |
|  University of Manchester                                              |
|  Oxford Road                                               _///_       |
|  Manchester M13 9PL                                        (o~o)       |

Kelling (ptcpl.vb.)
  The action of looking for something all over again in all the places
  you've already looked.

Version: GnuPG v2.0.9 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with SUSE -