[p4-feedback] Feature Request: Option to generate a new URI when saving an ontology with 'Save As'

Nick Drummond nick.drummond at cs.manchester.ac.uk
Mon Apr 27 06:37:53 PDT 2009

Hi Pat,

It depends on what your method of working is. Ontologies with the same URI
are normally only a problem in the same folder.

When you do a saveAs the physical location of the currently active ontology
is changed to the last one saved and the ontology is marked as "not dirty".

You can always change the URI of the ontology before save as if you intend
to continue working on this "version".

If you want to continue working on the starting "version" you might want
some kind of checkpointing.

This would have to work without affecting the URI of the current ontology,
its saved (dirty) state or its last saved location.
It would effectively creates a copy of the current ontology with a different
URI and saves it instead.

eg:

open ont:a.owl from onts/a.owl
    edit ont:a.owl
checkpoint ont:a-v1.owl in onts/a-v1.owl
    continue editing ont:a.owl (still marked as dirty?)
checkpoint ont:a-v2.owl in onts/a-v2.owl
    continue editing ont:a.owl (still marked as dirty?)
choose to save ont:a.owl in onts/a.owl

Nick