[p4-feedback] P4 keeps file open/locked after parse exceptions?

S Essaid sielists at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 10:45:04 PDT 2009

Hi Nick,

Here is how I can reproduce the problem but it also has something to do with
the text editor I am using.

P4 build 111 with included JVM on XP
Crimson Editor

- Create new OWL/XML file, save, close.
- Open file, add class, save and close.
- Open file again
- The OWL/XML empty namespace exception is shown, close the exception window
and now back at the welcome window.
- Trying to manually edit and save the file using Crimson Editor leads to
"Access to an unnamed file was denied" from the editor.
-  This is not a problem if I use Notepad.

Even though this only happens with Crimson, the P4 process does keep some
sort of handles open on the file. I used Process Explorer [1] after the
above parse exception and it showed six open handles (use the find menu and
search using the file name). Interestingly, if I try to open the same file
again using P4 (without manually correcting the file), the exception window
is shown again but the open file handles are gone. The handles are also
closed if another ontology is opened. These open handles only appear after
the first parse exception and stay there until P4 is closed or another
attempt is made to open the file (or a different file).

There are no exceptions in the console but the parse exception window has
the following trace. It is the same trace when a second attempt is made to
open the file. This trace is related to the empty OWL/XML  name space
xmlns:="http://www.w3.org/2006/12/owl2-xml#"

Element or attribute do not match QName production:
QName::=(NCName':')?NCName.

Full Stack Trace

org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Element or attribute do not match QName
production: QName::=(NCName':')?NCName.
    at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.createSAXParseException(Unknown
Source)
    at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.fatalError(Unknown
Source)
    at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLErrorReporter.reportError(Unknown
Source)
    at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLErrorReporter.reportError(Unknown
Source)
    at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLEntityScanner.scanQName(Unknown
Source)
    at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl.scanAttribute(Unknown
Source)
    at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl.scanStartElement(Unknown
Source)
    at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl$NSContentDispatcher.scanRootElementHook(Unknown
Source)
    at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContentDispatcher.dispatch(Unknown
Source)
    at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(Unknown
Source)
    at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown
Source)
    at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown
Source)
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XMLParser.parse(Unknown
Source)
    at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(Unknown
Source)
    at javax.xml.parsers.SAXParser.parse(Unknown Source)
    at edu.unika.aifb.rdf.api.syntax.RDFParser.parse(RDFParser.java:111)
    at org.coode.owl.rdfxml.parser.RDFXMLParser.parse(RDFXMLParser.java:86)
    at
uk.ac.manchester.cs.owl.ParsableOWLOntologyFactory.loadOWLOntology(ParsableOWLOntologyFactory.java:159)
    at
uk.ac.manchester.cs.owl.OWLOntologyManagerImpl.loadOntology(OWLOntologyManagerImpl.java:461)
    at
uk.ac.manchester.cs.owl.OWLOntologyManagerImpl.loadOntology(OWLOntologyManagerImpl.java:424)
    at
org.protege.editor.owl.model.OWLModelManagerImpl.loadOntology(OWLModelManagerImpl.java:327)
    at
org.protege.editor.owl.model.OWLModelManagerImpl.loadOntologyFromPhysicalURI(OWLModelManagerImpl.java:389)
    at
org.protege.editor.owl.OWLEditorKit.handleLoadFrom(OWLEditorKit.java:140)
    at
org.protege.editor.owl.OWLEditorKit.handleLoadRecentRequest(OWLEditorKit.java:129)
    at
org.protege.editor.core.ProtegeManager.openAndSetupRecentEditorKit(ProtegeManager.java:173)
    at
org.protege.editor.core.ProtegeWelcomeFrame$ProtegeWelcomePanel$5.actionPerformed(ProtegeWelcomeFrame.java:233)
    at
org.protege.editor.core.ui.util.LinkLabel.activateLink(LinkLabel.java:97)
    at
org.protege.editor.core.ui.util.LinkLabel.access$100(LinkLabel.java:30)
    at
org.protege.editor.core.ui.util.LinkLabel$1.mouseReleased(LinkLabel.java:63)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(Unknown Source)

[1]  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Thanks,
Shahim