[p4-feedback] bug reports and feature requests (1)

Nick Drummond nick.drummond at cs.manchester.ac.uk
Tue Apr 28 10:22:46 PDT 2009

Hi

We haven't had the resources to do a full UI review, so appreciate the notes
(although I think a lot will be low priority).

Comments inline.

Nick

2009/4/28 Rich Morin <rdm at cfcl.com>

> Here are some bug reports and feature requests.  I'm numbering
> the note because I'm still finding problems and expect to find
> more as I go along.  Nothing big here; in fact, mostly nits...
>
> -r
>

> Configuration
>
>  Power Mac           (2.3 GHz, dual CPU)
>  Mac OS X 10.5.6     (Build 9G55)
>  Protege Version 4.0 (Build 108)
>

> "close" button in views
>
>  Using the "close" button works, but there does not appear to be a way
>  to cause the closed view to return.  I have two suggestions:
>
>    *  Hitting cmd-Z should restore a "close" action.
>
>    *  An added menu item (eg, in the Tab menu) could
>       "restore deleted default Views".  Note that this is NOT
>       the same as "Reset selected tab to default state", as
>       that would force other changes to go away.

Cmd-Z is reserved for undo on the model and nothing else. I think anything
else would be unintuitive.
Once a view is closed there is no guarantee that the place it would go still
exists.
Why are you closing the view if you want it back? Is this when you've made a
mistake?
I don't think this is likely.

> "Object property axioms" section of the "Ontology metrics" view:
>
>  Reflecive  [sic] object properties axioms count
>  Irrefexive [sic] object properties axioms count

This has been fixed for a few releases

> "Welcome to Protege" dialog:
>
>  "Open recent" lists entries such as:
>    ~/rdm/ontologies/Ontology###/Ontology###.owl
>  regardless of whether ~rdm/ontologies or the sub-directory (etc)
>  exists.  Quitting and restarting Protege eliminates these...

Did it not exist when you saved it?

>  "Create new OWL" uses the same view settings each time; there
>  doesn't appear to be any (reasonable) way to reset them to the
>  "factory defaults".

The tabs can be reset to default as you said before. I don't understand the
problem.
There are no "per project" settings.

>  Dialog sometimes returns in an inappropriate size (eg, too small
>  for text)

OK, I've seen this. Added to the list

> ~/Library/Preferences
>
>  I see a number of files named protege_preferences.*.plist
>  Ideally, these should be called edu.stanford.bmir.*.plist, using
>  reverse DNS naming to ensure uniqueness.
>
>  protege_preferences.annotation_prefs_set.hidden_annoations_uris.plist
>                                                  ??????????

! this is definitely nit picking :)

> Class Usage View in Classes tab
>
>  In the Camera Ontology, "Thing" is truncated to "Thi" in
>  "Found 5 uses of Thing".

Only the first time :)

> OWLViz tab
>
>  If dot(1) is not available in the expected location, the same error
>  dialog shows up several times (probably once for each diagram P4 is
>  trying to create), so the user has to dismiss it several times.

Added to the list

>  OWLViz should at least TRY looking for dot(1) on the PATH.

Added to the list

>  How do I get OWLViz to try dot(1) again?  (Refresh User Interface
>  should do this, but doesn't.)

I don't know how it was written, but I guess once you've set the path in the
prefs it tries again.

> Background colors of View headers
>
>  It appears that the background color of a View header is tied to
>  the View's category (eg, Class, Individual).  However, some View
>  headers don't follow this pattern:
>
>    View        Tab
>    ====        ===
>    Query       DL Query
>    OWLViz      OWLViz

OWLViz shows classes and is the class colour.
DLQuery arguably shows more than classes, but it doesn't offend me that it
is class colour.

>  Also, split and floated views do not maintain the same background
>  color as the original view.

I think this is to show they are not synchronizing with the selection

> Refresh User Interface
>
>  This removes the visible indication of selection from (say) the Data
>  Properties View, but does not actually de-select the View.

OK. Added to the list (is this a problem?)