[p4-feedback] Properties view from P3.4

Nick Drummond nick.drummond at cs.manchester.ac.uk
Wed Apr 29 09:17:43 PDT 2009

Hi

Comments inline

2009/4/28 Vitor Barbosa <eng.vitor.barbosa at gmail.com>

> Hello everyone,
>
> I am actually experimenting both Protégé 3.4 and 4.0 versions and I feel
> that I should definitely move to 4.0 version now that it supports, although
> lightly, SWRL rules.

Great.

> However, the user interface from Protégé 3.4 presents the "Properties view"
> enabling to easily observe/add the object and datatype properties for each
> class right there on the same tab. This is much more user-friendly than
> adding properties in P4.0. Furthermore, it also enables to see the
> properties range, multiplicity and restrictions for each class. Is it
> possible to have such an interface in P4.0? Is there any plans to implement
> something similar?

There is a lot of concern in the OWL community that the properties view is
somewhat misleading to the average user.
We therefore do not intend to duplicate this exact visualisation in p4.

There are however, two plugins that may be of use to you.

1) The outline tree. This shows the existential tree of the current selected
class. http://code.google.com/p/co-ode-owl-plugins/wiki/OutlineView
2) The cardinality view. This shows restrictions in a more intuitive way to
people used to seeing cardinality.
http://code.google.com/p/co-ode-owl-plugins/wiki/Cardinality

Neither of these views display the range of the property, but this is
intentional.

Nick