[p4-feedback] Selective import

Thomas Schneider schneidt at cs.man.ac.uk
Wed Oct 28 20:32:22 PDT 2009

Hi Nacho,

there are several ways of importing a module of an ontology:

(1) You can use the web interface [1] -- enter an ontology (or its
URI) and a set of terms that you are interested in. The RESTful
service will then give you a subset of the axioms that preserve all
consequences of the original ontology that can be formulated using the
specified terms. There will be an update soon to align the module
types to the ones used in (2).

(2) The underlying module extraction procedures are implemented in the
class SyntacticLocalityModuleExtractor in the package
uk.ac.manchester.cs.owl.modularity of the OWL API. Just invoke one of
the methods extract(...), see Javadoc.

(3) There is a prototype of a plugin for Protégé 4 that does the same
job, which currently only works with a special edition of one of the
previous builds. This can be found at [2] (download equinox.zip). We
hope to turn this into a proper plugin for P4 soon.

If you need any further clarification, just let me know.

Cheers

Thomas

[1] http://owl.cs.manchester.ac.uk/modularity/
[2] http://owl.cs.manchester.ac.uk/2008/iswc-modtut/