[p4-feedback] P4.0.1 & Fact++

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Fri Oct 30 11:53:25 PDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-10-30 at 14:25 -0300, Cristian Cocos wrote:
> > If you had problems with the previous release of Protege 4
>
> Yes I did.
>
> > then the
> > solution is simple.  We need to build a FaCT++ dll for windows 7 and
> > update the fact++ plugin manifest to use this library.
>
> Looks like you may have to.

Great - this is very good - no mystery here.  All we have to figure out
is who can build the FaCT++ library.  I think that we will have a
machine here in a couple of days so this is a possibility.  In the mean
time you could try pellet (it can can be downloaded in the plugins
preferences)?

> > > P.S. How come it shows only 954M for Java, as I gave it 3.5G in
> > > Protégé.lax (lax.nl.java.option.java.heap.size.max=3497152000)?
> >
> > That is a good question.  Something is wrong.  How do you start Protege
> > (double click or start menu)?
>
> So far I've been using the start menu.

This is still a mystery.  I can give you a bit more information that
might help us figure this out.  In order for java to give you the 3.5G,
it must be passed a parameter that looks something like

   -Xmx3500M

What happens with install-anywhere is that it creates a script or
executable that parses the Protege.lax file and eventually calls java
with the appropriate options.  I was wondering if you dug into what the
start menu is calling if you would get a hint.

Also the java command is not that complicated.  So while this is a
pretty poor workaround and won't help other people with the same problem
too much, it might not be too hard to fix the start menu to just invoke
java.  The command  looks like this:

java -Xmx3500M -Dosgi.clean=true -DentityExpansionLimit=100000000 -Dfile.encoding=utf-8 -jar org.eclipse.osgi.jar

executed in the Protege directory.