[p4-feedback] P4.0.1 & Fact++

Cristian Cocos cristi at ieee.org
Fri Oct 30 13:04:08 PDT 2009

Dear Timothy, please read below:

> This is still a mystery.  I can give you a bit more information that
> might help us figure this out.  In order for java to give you the 3.5G,
> it must be passed a parameter that looks something like
>
>    -Xmx3500M
>
> What happens with install-anywhere is that it creates a script or
> executable that parses the Protege.lax file and eventually calls java
> with the appropriate options.  I was wondering if you dug into what the
> start menu is calling if you would get a hint.

I uninstalled build 114 and reverted to build 113 who doesn't have the issue with .owl file assignment. Java still doesn't give me more than 954M no matter what I'd put in the Protégé.lax file. It's as if I were running a 32-bit Java, instead of the 64-bit version.

> Also the java command is not that complicated.  So while this is a
> pretty poor workaround and won't help other people with the same
> problem too much, it might not be too hard to fix the start menu to just invoke
> java.  The command  looks like this:
>
> java -Xmx3500M -Dosgi.clean=true -DentityExpansionLimit=100000000 -
> Dfile.encoding=utf-8 -jar org.eclipse.osgi.jar
>
> executed in the Protege directory.

Yep, that does fix it, thank you!

At any rate, I assume that this is also a "P4.0.x in Windows7" issue, isn't it so? So it is not unreasonable to expect that it will be fixed, right?

Many thanks,