[p4-feedback] Issues Setting up Eclipse Workspace from SVN w/ P4.1

Jean-Marc Vanel jeanmarc.vanel at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 01:32:19 PDT 2010

2010/4/5 Wesley Saunders <wes.saunders at yahoo.com>

> Hello,
>
> I have been struggling to set up an eclipse workspace I can work in. I have
> the provided workspace checked out with SVN. But at step two it asks me to:
>
> *Step 2: Install the Eclipse metadata** Inside the directory that you just
> checked out is a file called metadata.zip. Extract this file into the
> created directory. *
> *
> *
> Where should I actually extract that to? I

When you did :

svn checkout
http://smi-protege.stanford.edu/repos/protege/protege4/ide/eclipse/protege4.1

that created a new directory named protege4.1 in the current directory.
This is what the doc. calls:
"the directory that you just checked out ".

The goal of this step is to copy in each of the 7 sub-directories such as
org.protege.editor.owl/

the configuration files like
.classpath
.project

Otherwise, these directories will not be recognized as eclipse projects.

have tried multiple extract locations but I can't seem to get a working
> eclipse workspace to exist.
>
> The problem is when I move to step three...
>
> *Step 3: Load the Workspace* Start eclipse and choose the newly created
> directory as the workspace. You should see seven projects. Select them all,
> right click and select refresh.
>
> I dont have a refresh option on any of the projects, and I think it is
> something to do with how I am handling step 2.

I assume that you know well eclipse ...
The instructions are perfectly clear for someone who used eclipse for
months, but otherwise you may misunderstand a step.

Do you use the latest release of eclipse ?

Did you click on "File / switch workspace" to switch to the newly created
directory ?

> Full link to the instructions is at:
> http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/index.php/CompileProtege4InEclipseFromSvn
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I am really looking
> forward to developing with Protege but am so stuck right at the start it's
> semi frustrating.
>
> Also if this is not an appropriate mailing list for me to be posting this
> too please, feel free to notify me of where I should be going with this
> question. (I'd still appreciate some help too!)
>
> Thank you,
> Wes

Jean-Marc Vanel
Consulting, services, training,
Rule-based programming, Semantic Web
http://jmvanel.free.fr/
+33 (0)6 89 16 29 52 -- +33 (0)1 39 55 58 16
( we rarely listen to voice messages, please send a mail instead )