[p4-feedback] Question about P4.0 tab plugin

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Mon Apr 5 17:21:19 PDT 2010

> I want to make a tab for P4.0, and I want to know how can I run the code?
This depends  a lot on your development environment.  Many of us use
eclipse on a non-mac platform and the best way to run a protege plugin
is by making eclipse plugin projects and making the runnable be a OSGi
Framework runnable.  This is described in [1] (but  you need the
context).  For 4.1 the current directions are in [2].

If you are running java in the raw then you could simply  look at  the
run scripts in a Protege distribution.  Essentially the following is
sufficient:
> java -jar org.eclipse.osgi.jar
This is enough to figure out how to how to make a runnable that will
work in any ide.  In particular this is what I have done in "run protege
the harder way" in the Protege 4.1 instructions [2].

BTW - why  use 4.0?  For new plugin development I would recommend 4.1.
Development has pretty much stopped on 4.0  and the goal is to make 4.1
stable enough that 4.1 will be able to  replace 4.0.

-Timothy

[1] http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/index.php/CompileProtege4InEclipse#Creating_a_Runnable_for_Windows_or_Linux
[2] http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/index.php/CompileProtege4InEclipseFromSvn#Configuring_Eclipse
[3] http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/index.php/CompileProtege4InEclipseFromSvn#Instructions_for_Compiling_and_Running_Protege_4.1_in_Eclipse_using_the_sources_from_SVN

> In
> P3 we just write :

> 		edu.stanford.smi.protege.Application.main(args);
> 	}

Or just call Application.main directly and skip the indirection.

-Timothy