[p4-feedback] Maven, plugins and protege 4

Ronald Denaux rdenaux at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 03:50:45 PDT 2010

Hi Mariano,

My experiences while building ROO
[1]<http://sourceforge.net/projects/confluence> were
that it is possible (if not entirely straighforward) to maintain a project
with Protege 4 plugins using maven.

P4 already has pom descriptors for its subprojects, although the builds seem
to still be done using ant judging by the number of times that the maven
builds fail (mostly because tests are failing, or because the pom for a
subproject is missing).

Things to take into account when developing plugins using maven:
- there doesn't seem to be an "official' maven repository for P4, where the
current dependencies can be found, so you'll need to install the jars into
your personal (or company) repository
- because p4 plugins are OSGI bundles, you have to package them as such. The
normal jar packaging performed by maven is insufficient. In ROO I did this
by maintaining the manifest and plugin.xml manually (using Eclipse) and
using the maven assembly plugin to package the jar. Alternatively you can
use felix bnd [2]<http://felix.apache.org/site/apache-felix-maven-bundle-plugin-bnd.html>plugin
for maven to generate OSGi compatible jars.

It would be nice to have an archetype to boostrap plugin projects!

Cheers,
Ronald

[1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/confluence
[2] http://felix.apache.org/site/apache-felix-maven-bundle-plugin-bnd.html