[p4-feedback] Question about P3 & P4

Igor Toujilov i.toujilov at ucl.ac.uk
Fri Apr 9 09:35:23 PDT 2010

OWL support in P3 is based on Jena, while P4 is based on OWL API. Jena and
OWL API are two different libraries for the Semantic Web. They provide
overlapping but not equivalent features. Thus the question of choosing
between P3 and P4 is mostly the question of choosing between Jena and OWL
API because in your plug-in you would likely want to use already available
API for OWL programming (unless in your plug-in you want to port Jena to P4
or port OWL API  to P3, which are both huge challenges).

The difference between Jena and OWL API is the following. Jena provides a
triple-based view on the Semantic Web (you program in terms of triples, i.e.
subjects, predicates, and objects), while OWL API provides a higher level
logical view on OWL. As a consequence, Jena has better support for lower
level representations in RDF/RDFS, but OWL API has better support for
advanced logical features in OWL 2.

This mail-list has a multitude of postings about P4 plug-in development and
you probably can resolve your questions about this by browsing the history
of the list.

Porting a P3 plug-in to P4 is not a trivial task, especially if the P3
plug-in uses Jena extensively.

Cheers,

Igor

  _____