[p4-feedback] problems with PluginAnatomy#Writing_View_and_Tab_Plugins

Jean-Marc Vanel jeanmarc.vanel at gmail.com
Sun Apr 11 05:54:10 PDT 2010

I played the scenario in
http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/index.php/PluginAnatomy#Writing_View_and_Tab_Plugins

<http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/index.php/PluginAnatomy#Writing_View_and_Tab_Plugins>but
I need to report two problems.

*1. the template MANIFEST.MF file has package errors
*
The template for the MANIFEST.MF file can be downloaded from
here<http://smi-protege.stanford.edu/repos/protege/protege4/protege-base/trunk/etc/template-manifest.mf>
.

This must be changed to reflect the last package name in OWLAPI 3 :

Require-Bundle: org.eclipse.equinox.registry,
 org.eclipse.equinox.common,
 org.protege.editor.core.application,
 org.protege.editor.owl,
* org.semanticweb.owl.owlapi*

Which means that this file is wrong on Protégé 4.1 Subversion:
protege-base/etc/template-plugin-build.xml

In PluginAnatomy#Writing_View_and_Tab_Plugins the link points to the Protégé
4.0 depot :
http://smi-protege.stanford.edu/repos/protege/protege4/protege-base/trunk/etc/template-manifest.mf

Maybe a new file should be added to reflect the above package change for OWL
API :
http://smi-protege.stanford.edu/repos/protege/protege4/protege-base/trunk/etc/template-manifest
*-p41*.mf

*2. class Metrics in examplelib.jar is also not in line with OWL API 3.0*

I get this when loading the example view :

Error logged
java.lang.*NoSuchMethodError*: org.semanticweb.owlapi.model.*
OWLOntology.getReferencedClasses()*Ljava/util/Set;
        at org.protege.owl.example.Metrics.recalculate(Metrics.java:58)

        at org.protege.owl.example.Metrics.<init>(Metrics.java:43)

It should probably be :
getClassesInSignature(true)

But the source code for this small class Metrics is not available anywhere !

I'll try to gain some ( possibly outdated ) information here :
http://www.co-ode.org/downloads/protege-x/plugin-code-example.php

--
Jean-Marc Vanel
Consulting, services, training,