[p4-feedback] Protege 4.1 import URI resolution

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Mon Apr 19 14:43:32 PDT 2010

On 04/19/2010 12:56 PM, Samson Tu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a collection of OWL ontologies that load without any problem in
> Protege 4.0x, but when I tried to load it with Protege 4.1, I got
> "file not found error."
>
> I see that the file of an imported ontology study_examples has been
> resolved to "file:/Users/tu/Dropbox/OCRE/trunk/study_examples.owl"
> which is the correct file path for my Mac at home. However, I am using
> a Windows workstation. Where is Protege 4.1 getting the path
> information, and why does Protege 4.0 behaves correctly but Protege
> 4.1 doesn't?

This is a bug that has been fixed in the latest svn but perhaps not in
the latest update.  I need to send another update in soon anyway because
there have been several improvements.  (Actually I think that I will
push for a new build when Jennifer gets back.)

I believe that the invalid path information is coming from a catalog.xml
file (which is like the old .repository files except it is a
standard).   My guess is that you are synchronizing the two machines
using some kind of synchronization software?  Unfortunately I was
putting absolute addresses in the catalog.xml file when I didn't need to
and I was not checking for files that had been deleted.  I will try to
push an update soon but deleting  the calalog.xml will probably fix the
problem.  I will have to think about whether there are other problems
with synchronization that I will have to solve.

This is new to Protege 4.1 because it is an attempt to deal with the
change from import by name to import  by location change in OWL 2.0.
XML catalogs are an industry standard way of redirecting references made
by an xml catalog to external resources.

-Timothy

[1] http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/entity/spec-2001-08-06.html