[p4-feedback] Setting up OWL API (protege 4.1) for eclipse

Shahim Essaid sielists at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 13:57:10 PDT 2010

Hi Babar,

Assuming I understood your needs correctly, you don't need Protege for
your project and you don't need to configure Eclipse to develop
Protege.  What you need is the "OWL API" at
http://owlapi.sourceforge.net/ .  You would download the OWL API jar
file and add it to an Eclipse (or any other Java IDE)  Java project and
then try the examples from the documentation. Once you are familiar with
the OWL API, you can then start building your custom OWL-based
application. Having said this, it might be useful to look at how Protege
4 uses the OWL API behind the scenes because there might be some Protege
specific classes/APIs that could help you with your project.  See
http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/Protege4DevDocs for Protege 4
documentation but this documentation is focused on Protege 4 development
instead of ontology and OWL programming.

Shahim