[p4-feedback] Members list (inferred)

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Fri Oct 8 11:40:24 PDT 2010

There is some inconsistency in Protege on whether inferred individuals
should be the direct inferred individuals or indirect inferred
individuals.  In the case of the direct inferred individuals, b1 only
has direct type B.  The A and things being non-trivial superclasses of B
do not directly contain b1.

I am not sure what the best answer is here.  For small toy ontologies,
any consistent behavior will work.  I can explain it either way.  But we
have experience with Protege 3, that having a huge number of individuals
(e.g. thousands to tens of thousands) displayed in a single list creates
its own problems.  I would think that for large ontologies, showing the
indirect instances of a class would be non-optimal.  My suspicion is
that the preferred behavior would be to consistently show the direct
individuals but it might also make sense to have an option for this.

But there is another feature from Protege 3 that would be helpful in
Protege 4.  Protege 3 gave numeric indications of what parts of the
class tree you look in to find individuals.  I think it would be useful
to show two numbers - the directly contained individual count and the
indirect individual count.  This has to be done right (in the cases
where it is needed it would be slow) but it would not be that difficult.

-Timothy