[p4-feedback] Use of inverseFunctional for data properties

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Wed Sep 22 01:03:20 PDT 2010

> Then could the described behaviour be a parsing problem?

It is not clear that there is a good choice here.

The foaf ontology seems to have a clear pun of an object property with a
data property:

       <rdf:Property rdf:about="http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/mbox_sha1sum" vs:term_status="testing" rdfs:label="sha1sum of a personal mailbox URI name" rdfs:comment="The sha1sum of the URI of an Internet mailbox associated with exactly one owner, the  first owner of the mailbox.">
         <rdf:type rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#InverseFunctionalProperty"/>
    	... some discussion of inverse functional properties here ...
         <rdf:type rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#DatatypeProperty"/>

Given this and the observation that

    Object and Data properties can not be punned.
    http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/REC-owl2-syntax-20091027/#Typing_Constraints_of_OWL_2_DL

it would seem that the obvious conclusion is that, strictly speaking,
foaf is an OWL Full ontology that may give trouble to OWL API based tools.

-Timothy