[p4-feedback] RDF & RDFS & imported RDF based ontologies

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Mon Aug 1 16:31:08 PDT 2011

> Can anyone let me know if there is RDF & RDFS support in Protege 4.1.

This is a tricky question and a variant of it has come up recently on
the mailing list.  There is no pure RDF/RDFS editor for Protege 4.1
yet.  Currently Protege 4.1 is a OWL 2 editor only.  But RDF/RDFS files
can be understood by Protege when they can be mapped to the OWL 2 syntax
[1].

> It seams that RDFS support is not for sure. RDF file can be loaded but
> the imported ontology, or at least, the implicitly imported ontology
> seem not to be visible.

At one time, Protege 4.1 would deal with anonymous imports in a way that
sounds similar to what you are describing.  If you import an anonymous
ontology then on a save and reload, the import declaration would
disappear and the concepts and properties from the anonymous import
would remain.  This is what the OWL 2 specification says should happen.
However everyone who has seen this behavior doesn't like this behavior.
So in the the released version of Protege the import declaration remains
even the imported ontology is anonymous.

> I get all property of the refered RDF based ontology as annotation
> properties.

I am not sure but this may be one of the tricky issues.  In OWL 2 there
are only three kinds of properties: annotation properties, data
properties and object properties.  So in order to map RDF into OWL, all
the rdf properties must be mapped to one of these types of OWL 2
properties.  I just tried this with the dcterms ontology and it seems
that the OWL api tries to map the rdf property to all the owl 2 property
types that could be a match with the property in question.

The Protege handling of pure RDF files needs some work and we are
working on this now in Protege 4.2.  We do have thoughts of developing
an rdf editor for Protege as well but at the moment it is not clear if
this will be Web-Protege only or if there will be a desktop client.

-Timothy

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/REC-owl2-syntax-20091027/