[p4-feedback] New Error-Handling Behavior

Wartik, Steven P "Steve" swartik at ida.org
Tue Feb 22 08:01:03 PST 2011

Okay, this one is new to me. I just downloaded and installed Build 217. When I open an ontology I am now presented with a class named Error1 (and Error2 through Error4, but never mind that). This class contains several thousand otherwise untyped (i.e., owl:Thing) individuals. Previously these individuals just appeared as members of owl:Thing, i.e., no Error1 class.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that Protégé, or perhaps the latest version of The OWL API, has determined there's something wrong with these individuals. That said, there's no hint why this-or-that code has marked them as erroneous. The console window doesn't report any exceptions.

My question, then: What precisely is the problem? The ontology is a valid RDF document; at any rate, more than one RDF-aware tool parses it. Am I being told that the ontology is not a valid OWL ontology? I had thought it was a valid OWL-Full ontology but perhaps even that is not true.

I haven't been able to find any documentation on these error classes. If it exists, could someone please send me a link?

Thanks for any and all help,

Steve Wartik
swartik at ida.org