[p4-feedback] Protege, Content negotiation and XML DTDs (Very slow document opening)

Marcus Cobden lists at marcuscobden.co.uk
Thu Mar 17 08:27:05 PDT 2011

I'm working on an ontology which imports another which uses content negotiation to serve RDF from its URI.

Specifically i am importing http://purl.org/net/provenance/ns.

 From what I can tell, protege isn't setting the request headers correctly, resulting in it being given the XHTML+RDFA version rather then the RDF version.

It seems this causes protege's XML parser to go and download the XHTML DTDs.
These are very slow to retrieve (just over 30s per module) as the W3C is trying to encourage application caching [1].

Eventually it will load correctly, but protege really should be caching things.

So, in summary:

* Protege should set Accept headers when importing ontologies.
* Protege should be caching DTDs

Thanks,
Marcus

[1] http://www.w3.org/blog/systeam/2008/02/08/w3c_s_excessive_dtd_traffic