[p4-feedback] Multiple domain or range for a OWL:Property - Cc: Matthew

Muhammad Javed mjaved at computing.dcu.ie
Thu Jan 12 03:21:50 PST 2012

Hi Mathew and Timothy,

Thanks for your feedback.

Two small question:

Q1:In your Pizza Tutorial, you have mentioned to add a superclass with a
value,
             hasCountryOfOrigin value America
Similar to that, I am trying to put an subclass expression on a class A as,
                       hasGender value Male or Female
How to add such expression in Protege.

Q2 - One other question, If I add a subclass necessary restriction on a
class A, lets say class A subclass of   hasName some xsd:String
and then, if I have an instance of class A, lets say W, should it not
(must) have atleast one value for property hasName... (otherwise the
instance is inconsistent ???)
The reasoner don't give any error for its absence...is it because of Open
world Assumption , that knowledge is not available...??

Thanks for your help.

regards
Muhammad

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 5:38 PM, Matthew Horridge <
matthew.horridge at stanford.edu> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > Although I really don't like the phrase "properties of a class", this
> phrase is mentioned quite a lot on this mailing list, and if you like,
> adding a superclass
> >
> > "prop some Value"
> >
> > to a class A specifies that prop is a property of class A with a value
> of Value.
> >
> > I suggest that you read the Pizza tutorial to get more of a feel what
> these class expressions are and what you can do with them.   You might also
> take a look at the OWL 2 primer, in particular,
> http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-primer/#Property_Restrictions.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Matthew
> >

> > > thanks for your help.
> > >

> > > regards
> > > Muhammad Javed
> > >

> > > On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 12:29 PM, Matthew Horridge <
> matthew.horridge at stanford.edu> wrote:
> > > Hi Muhammad,
> > >
> > > Given the way you have expressed what you want to say in prose, it
> seems to me that domain and range axioms don't correspond with what you
> want to say.  Instead you should use class expressions (in particular some
> values from restrictions) to state the relationships that you want to
> express.  So,....

> Institute.

>            (Range)  Univeristy
>            (Range)  Institute
> > >
> > > Add a superclass of ResearchGroup:
> > >
> > > "isBasedIn some (University or Institute)"
> > >
> > > This states that every instance of ResearchGroup is related to an
> instance of University of Institute via the isBasedIn property.

> xsd:gYear
> > >

> > > Add a superclass of Publication:
> > >
> > > "hasPublicationYear some Year"

> xsd:gYear
> > >
> > > Add a superclass of Newsletter
> > >
> > > "hasPublicationYear some Year"

> and Researchers has affiliation with University

> (Range) IndustryOrganisation
> > >
> > > Add a superclass of IndustryCollaborators:
> > >
> > > "hasAffiliation some IndustryOrganisation"

> (Range) University
> > >
> > > Add a superclass of Researchers
> > >
> > > "hasAffilication some University"

> property, what semantic meaning it gives.
> > >
> > > Intersection  i.e. AND
> > >
> > > Hope this helps.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > > Matthew
> > >

> > > --
> > > Kind regards
> > > Muhammad Javed
> > >

> > > Muhammad Javed, PhD Research Student, Centre for Next Generation
> Localisation, School of Computing, Dublin City University, Dublin 9, Ireland
> > >
> > > Tel:   +353 (0)1 700 6912                Fax:  +353 (0)1 700 6702
> > > Web: www.computing.dcu.ie/~mjaved

> > --
> > Kind regards
> > Muhammad Javed
> >

> > Muhammad Javed, PhD Research Student, Centre for Next Generation
> Localisation, School of Computing, Dublin City University, Dublin 9, Ireland
> >
> > Tel:   +353 (0)1 700 6912                Fax:  +353 (0)1 700 6702

**
*