[p4-feedback] Protege 4.1_b239 fails to open owlapi generated file

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Tue Jan 24 09:31:45 PST 2012

My suspicion is that there is something in the directory where you are opening the file that is causing a problem.  When Protege opens a file, it does an analysis of the containing directory.  On occasion there are files in the directory that have dtd definitions and these are problematic for xml parsers.  Matthew tells me that dtd checking can be turned off and I should figure this out and do it.  If this conjecture is right then you can stop Protege from examining the directory by replacing (or installing) an empty xml catalog (catalog-v001.xml) in the containing directory.  I have attached one you can use.

I opened the problem without problems so the problem is not with the file.  It seems that your copy of Protege can handle it also because the problem goes away when you move the file.

If this analysis is wrong you can send me more information with a thread dump as described in [1].  (As a unix user myself I usually use "killall -QUIT java" to generate thread dumps.)

-Timothy

[1] http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/Programming/Stacktrace/