[p4-feedback] DL Query existential qualifier with 2 clauses?

Marisa Gioioso mgioioso at milcord.com
Mon Nov 4 19:25:49 PST 2013

hi all,

I have been familiarizing myself with the DL Query tab and Manchester Syntax.  I’m trying to perform the following query:

Return ?x such that ?x propA ?y AND ?x propB ?y for some Person(?y)

I believe I can do this in SPARQL and had originally tried working with the SPARQL plugin.  Because the SPARQL tab does not support inferencing, and the object properties I’m working with are inferred, I moved on to the DL Query tab.  But it seems that since the Manchester Syntax does not use variables, I cannot encode the query above in the DL Query tab?  Or is there a way to do it without variables?  In vain, I tried variants on:
(propA and propB) some Person.

(propA some Person) and (propB some Person)
does not yield what I want because I need the objects of the two statements to be the same person.

Actually, propA and propB in this case are symmetric.  So I also tried:
propA some (Person that propB Self)

but that returned nothing.

If not, I will next try the SPARQL DL plugin that I just installed in my Protege 4.3.  But the DL Query tab was preferable as it lets me add query results back into the ontology as new classes, and that’s really useful for what I’m doing.

thanks,

Marisa