[p4-feedback] What to move when refactoring

Samson Tu swt at stanford.edu
Thu Nov 14 10:05:52 PST 2013

Hi,

Suppose that I have ontologies O1, O2, and O3, where O2 imports O1 and O3 imports O2. Let's say that I have a class B and B1 (an individual of type B) defined in O2. Now I want to move class B to O1. If I choose to refactor by specifying B as the class to move. Protege's refactoring mechanism will also move B1 in the same operation. On a number of occasions, that's not the behavior I want. It seems to me that Protege should first determine the destination of the move, and offer the user the possibility of fine-tuning the axioms to move. If the destination is O3, it's fine to insist on moving B1 together with class B, but requiring the same when the destination is O1 is too restrictive.

Thank you.

With best regards,
Samson