[p4-feedback] owl: prefix in OWL functional syntax

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Fri Nov 15 09:15:50 PST 2013

Certain prefixes should probably be left alone.  These include for
example, owl:, rdfs: and rdf:.  The namespaces associated with these
prefixes play an important role in the rdfs serialization of OWL  2
files.  These prefixes are expected to be set in a certain standard way
in the rdfs serialization of OWL.  Changing these prefix declarations
would probably cause confusion for ontology editors.  There are also
statements in the OWL 2 syntax document indicating the standard
namespaces associated with these prefixes are reserved and should not be
used to name entities.

I would not be amazed if Protege does not let you change these
prefixes.  I am also not sure if these prefixes are used in the OWL
functional syntax.  Their use in rdfs is just a quirk of that particular
serialization.

-Timothy