[p4-feedback] owl: prefix in OWL functional syntax

Wartik, Steven P "Steve" swartik at ida.org
Fri Nov 15 11:15:09 PST 2013

Tom,

The Functional Language Specification provides a grammar (section 13). That grammar includes certain tokens: Ontology, ObjectUnionOf, etc. In the proper places, these tokens are unambiguous. Suppose you write:

Class ( class-iri )

“Class” is one of a number of expected tokens, and “class-iri” is something that must be an IRI – one form for which is prefixed. So if you wanted to define OWL’s concept of an object property as a class, you would have to write:

Class ( owl:objectProperty )

which doesn’t happen to be legal. In fact, I don’t think there’s any place where you can, or would want to, use the owl prefix as an IRI. Go through the grammar and, if you find a place, let us know.

Regards,

Steve Wartik