[p4-feedback] SUDDEN ERROR MESSAGES

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Sun Nov 24 08:24:39 PST 2013

> Though, I have not used Protégé for about 2 weeks, everything was
> working successfully the last time I used it. When I checked the
> "Program and Features" in Windows 7, I did not see any installed
> updates for  "java" in the last 2 weeks.  So, I don't know why all of
> a sudden I am getting such error messages.
>
> Please urgently help to fix these error messages!

This is a Protege bug involving error handling in the update process.
There has been some recent discussion of this on the mailing list.

This is caused by a combination of two issues.  Protege's plugin update
mechanism has some problems with its error handling and there has been a
recent update to a Protege plugin that triggered this issue.   What this
bug means to you is that you are not able to get updates of the latest
protege plugins.  Otherwise I believe that Protege is working normally.
The bug report can be found here:

      https://github.com/protegeproject/protege/issues/18

and it has been fixed in the latest git.

You can turn off checking for updates by clicking
File->Preferences->Plugins and unchecking "Automatically check for
plugin updates at start up".  Alternatively there is a version of the
plugin update repository file that you can use as described here .

     https://mailman.stanford.edu/pipermail/p4-feedback/2013-November/006278.html

I haven't tested this but it is a reasonable work-around until the fix
for this bug gets out.  You just need to remember to set it back when
you receive the fix for this issue.

-Timothy