PCD 1/21/11 - David Ayman Shamma - Staying together: Understanding People and Media in Synchronous Connected Systems

Steven Dow spdow at stanford.edu
Tue Jan 18 08:39:18 PST 2011

Stanford Seminar on People, Computers, and Design (CS547)
	In Gates B01 and online through SCPD, 12:50-2:05pm
 	Talk details and video: see http://cs547.stanford.edu/

Friday, January 21, 2011
David Ayman Shamma, Internet Experiences Group, Yahoo! Research
Staying together: Understanding People and Media in Synchronous Connected Systems
http://hci.stanford.edu/courses/cs547/speaker.php?date=2011-01-21

The things we do together spawn conversations; gathering with our friends and families to watch programs, concerts, and events, we share the experience through backchannel conversations, social asides and mutual displays of agreement and disagreement. How do these sharing of experiences in turn shape how we understand the actual event? This talk presents real-world applications designed to facilitate synchronous conversations while sharing media. First, I will present Zync, a system for synchronized video sharing over instant messaging; in effect this is conversational video on demand. From observing how a YouTube video is shared within a conversation, we develop methods for media segmentation and summarization. Second, I will examine how people use status updates, such as on Twitter, while they watch live events on TV. By accounting for temporal and conversational features, one can use tweets to segment a long political debate into logical questions. I will also describe new methods for retrieving conversationally salient, not document salient, terms. Finally, I will show how using implicit conversational data can outperform explicit annotations in automated classification tasks for online videos. Throughout the talk, I will discuss how these examples extend online infrastructures to build highly connected experiences.

David Ayman Shamma is a research scientist in the Internet Experiences group at Yahoo! Research. He researches synchronous environments and connected experiences both online and in-the-world. Focusing on creative expression and sharing frameworks, he designs and prototypes systems for multimedia-mediated communication, as well as, develops targeted methods and metrics for understanding how people communicate online in small environments and at web scale. Ayman is the creator and lead investigator on the Yahoo! Zync project. Additionally, Ayman creates media art installations that have been reviewed by The New York Times, International Herald Tribune, and Chicago Magazine and exhibited internationally, including Second City Chicago, the Berkeley Art Museum, SIGGRAPH ETECH, Chicago Improv Festival, and Wired NextFest/NextMusic.

NEXT SPEAKER: January 28, 2011

	Dan Jurafsky
	Departments of Linguistics and Computer Science, Stanford University
	It's Not You, It's Me: Automatically Extracting Social Meaning from Speed Dates
	http://hci.stanford.edu/courses/cs547/speaker.php?date=2011-01-28

For this quarter's schedule, see see http://cs547.stanford.edu/

The talks are open to the public. They are in the Gates Building, Room
B01 in the basement. The nearest public parking is in the structure at
Campus Drive and Roth Way.

For details on getting credit for the course, see
http://hci.stanford.edu/seminar/admin.html

To (un)subscribe to the People, Computers, and Design email list, visit
https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/pcd-seminar