PCD 3/11/11 - Elizabeth Gerber - Technology that Motivates Creative Action

Steven Dow spdow at stanford.edu
Mon Mar 7 14:14:48 PST 2011

Stanford Seminar on People, Computers, and Design (CS547)
	In Gates B01 and online through SCPD, 12:50-2:05pm
 	Talk details and video: see http://cs547.stanford.edu/

Friday, March 11, 2011
Segal Design Institute, Mechanical Engineering, Northwestern University
Technology that Motivates Creative Action
http://hci.stanford.edu/courses/cs547/speaker.php?date=2011-03-11

Creativity is key to our economic and social prosperity. This talk explores technology that motivates creativity by influencing emotion, goals, and beliefs. I discuss three projects. In the first project I introduce affective computational priming, a new method for manipulating affect using digitally embedded stimuli. The second project investigates how accomplishing small goals prior to brainstorming influences task focus, quality and rate of ideation. The third project explores how technology fosters capability and receptivity beliefs necessary for creative action. I explore this relationship through a design initiative I started with students at Northwestern called Design for America.

Dr. Gerber is an expert in creativity, design, technology, and work. As a professor in the Segal Design Institute at Northwestern University, she holds an appointment in Mechanical Engineering and by courtesy in Management Science and Industrial Engineering, the Kellogg School of Management, and the School of Education and Social Policy.

Dr. Gerber is the principal investigator for the Creative Action Lab, which investigates the role of technology (digital tools and work practices) in supporting individual and group creativity. In her Lab, she applies the behavioral sciences to the design of tools and practices to improve usability and creative performance. Dr. Gerber's Lab publishes work relevant to the design, management, and human computer interaction communities. Dr. Gerber is also the faculty founder of Design for America, an award winning educational initiative building creative confidence in students through design for local and social impact.

Prior to joining the Segal Institute at Northwestern, Dr. Gerber was deeply involved in developing the Hasso Plattner Institute of Design (or d.school) at Stanford University. She received a BA from Dartmouth College, a MS in Product Design and a PhD in Management Science and Engineering from Stanford University.

FIRST SPEAKER NEXT QUARTER: April 1, 2011

	Thad Starner
	College of Computing, Georgia Tech

For this quarter's schedule, see see http://cs547.stanford.edu/

The talks are open to the public. They are in the Gates Building, Room
B01 in the basement. The nearest public parking is in the structure at
Campus Drive and Roth Way.

For details on getting credit for the course, see
http://hci.stanford.edu/seminar/admin.html

To (un)subscribe to the People, Computers, and Design email list, visit
https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/pcd-seminar