PCD 2/10/12, Celine Latulipe. UNCC, Expressive Interaction and the Evaluation of Creativity Support

Terry Winograd winograd at cs.stanford.edu
Sat Feb 4 11:06:44 PST 2012

Stanford Seminar on People, Computers, and Design (CS547: HCI Seminar)
     http://hci.stanford.edu/seminar/

February 10, 2012
12:50-2:00 pm, Gates B01

Celine Latulipe. University of North Carolina, Charlotte

Expressive Interaction and the Evaluation of Creativity Support

Visionaries in Computer Science have long seen the computer as a tool
to augment our intellect. However, while it is relatively
straightforward to measure the impact of a tool or technique on task
efficiency for well-defined tasks, it is much more difficult to
measure a digital tool's impact on higher-level cognitive processes,
such as creativity. In my own research in Human-Computer Interaction,
I create novel interaction techniques, but run up against the problem
of trying to evaluate how these tools impact creativity,
expressiveness and exploration. In this talk, I briefly present a
variety of interaction techniques that I have developed, and I then
describe a survey metric that we have developed, the Creativity
Support Index (CSI), to help researchers and designers evaluate the
level of creativity support provided by these types of systems, tools
or interfaces. I also present some current results using EEG and
machine learning to classify the creative experience with more
specific, temporal granularity. I present this work within the context
of my long term goal to develop a suite of tools that provide both
stronger analytical power and a general framework for evaluating
computational support for creative activities, engagement and
aesthetic experience.

-----

Dr. Celine Latulipe has a PhD in Computer Science from the University
of Waterloo in Canada. She is an Assistant Professor of Human-Computer
Interaction in the Department of Software and Information Systems in
the College of Computing and Informatics at UNC Charlotte. Dr.
Latulipe has long been fascinated by two-handed interaction in the
real world, and the absence of it in the human-computer interface. She
has developed numerous individual and collaborative two-handed
interaction techniques and these have blossomed into a more general
exploration of creative expression. Dr. Latulipe works on projects
with choreographers, dancers, artists and theatre producers to better
understand creative work in practice and how technology may play a
role in supporting and evaluating creative work practices. Currently,
Dr. Latulipe is working on many projects, including the NSF
CreativeIT-funded Dance.Draw project, which has received national
media attention.

--

NEXT WEEK: February 17, 2012
Deborah Tatar, Computer Science, Virginia Tech