Fwd: PCD 2/17/12, Deborah Tatar, Virginia Tech, Microcoordination: a lens for studying the design of collaborative phenomena

Terry Winograd winograd at cs.stanford.edu
Sat Feb 11 12:04:16 PST 2012

Stanford Seminar on People, Computers, and Design (CS547: HCI Seminar)
     http://hci.stanford.edu/seminar/

February 17, 2012
12:50-2:00 pm, Gates B01

Deborah Tatar, Virginia Tech
Microcoordination: a lens for studying the design of collaborative phenomena

For the last 25 years I have studied the phenomena of human
coordination in the small, using various disciplines and methods.
However, taken singly, none these disciplines allow us to ask or
answer some of the most important questions that face designers today.
Two years ago, I came up with the term "microcoordination" to identify
this use of multiple disciplines and methods. Last year NSF funded me
to work on it. I will outline a case for using the lens of
microcoordination to uncover phenomena at the juncture of human
coordinative behavior and system design. Then I will talk about a
series of probes my lab group has created to examine the social and
personal effects of the relationship between people utilizing
collaborative artifacts.
-----

Deborah Tatar is Associate Professor of Computer Science and, by
courtesy, Psychology, and a Member of the Program for Women and Gender
Studies at Virginia Tech. She received her Ph.D. in Psychology from
Stanford in 1998 and spent two years as a post-doctoral fellow in the
Departments of Communication and at CSLI, before taking the position
of Cognitive Scientist in the Center for Technology and Learning at
SRI International. Prior to obtaining her doctorate, she was a Member
of the Research Staff at Xerox PARC and a Senior Software Engineer at
DEC. She got her start in Computer Science at the Logo Lab at MIT. Her
BA was in English and American Literature and Language, from Harvard.
In addition to trying to reconcile the diverse worlds of psychology,
ethnomethodology and epidemiological thinking into the design of
interactive systems, she is also busy trying to integrate
computational thinking into middle school curriculum!

--

NEXT WEEK: February 24, 2012
Dan Schwartz, Stanford School of Education