PCD 3/16/12 - Adrien Treuille, CMU, Next-generation Citizen Science

Terry Winograd winograd at cs.stanford.edu
Mon Mar 12 15:00:55 PDT 2012

Stanford Seminar on People, Computers, and Design (CS547: HCI Seminar)
     http://hci.stanford.edu/seminar/

March 16, 2012
12:50-2:00 pm, Gates B01

Adrien Treuille
Carnegie Mellon University
Next-generation Citizen Science

Nanoscale engineering holds the key to developing next-generation
therapies, but this painstaking process depends on the difficult task
of predicting molecular self-assembly. This talk describes two
unprecedented "citizen science" projects to rapidly advance
bioengineering. Our on-line protein folding game, Foldit, challenges
non-experts to fold proteins, a puzzle akin to "3D Tetris." Our brand
new nano-engineering game, EteRNA, pushes this concept into the rich
and confounding world of real experimentation and validation: every
week, we synthesize top EteRNA player designs and return this data as
score back into the game. EteRNA thus enabling thousands of
enthusiasts to stringently test scientific hypotheses on a weekly
basis. Both games now hosts a thriving communities of citizen
scientists who are outperforming existing state-of-the-art algorithmic
methods.

-----

Adrien Treuille, an assistant professor of computer science and
robotics at Carnegie Mellon University who specializes in real-time
computer simulation techniques, is the recipient of an National
Science Foundation CAREER award, the Okawa Prize, and has been
recognized by Technology Review magazine as one of the world's top 35
innovators under the age of 35. He also pursues research in the
simulation and animation of very high-dimensional nonlinear phenomena
like animal morphology, human motion, and large fluid systems. While
he seeks theoretical advances, he is also deeply interested in the
implications for science and engineering of these techniques, from
fluid dynamics to laying down a joint cognitive and biomechanical
basis for animal motion.
--

This is the last week of Winter Quarter. We'll be back on April 6 with
a great lineup for Spring.