HCI Seminar 12/6, Aleksandra Sarcevic — Supporting Fast-Response Medical Teams through Interactive Information Displays

Michael Bernstein msb at cs.stanford.edu
Tue Dec 3 02:45:38 PST 2013

Aleksandra Sarcevic, Drexel University
Supporting Fast-Response Medical Teams through Interactive Information
Displays

December 6, 2013, 12:50-2:05pm, Gates B01 · Open to the public
CS547 Human-Computer Interaction Seminar (Seminar on People, Computers, and
Design)
http://hci.st/seminar
http://cs547.stanford.edu/speaker.php?date=2013-12-06

Despite growing use of advanced technologies in healthcare, trauma
resuscitation — a high-risk, fast-paced, and information-laden process of
treating severely injured patients in a dedicated facility in the emergency
department — remains one of the few settings that lack IT support and
depend on paper artifacts. To bridge this paper-digital gap, our
multidisciplinary research group has studied the work of resuscitation
teams over the past seven years. Our long-term research goal has been the
design and development of innovative approaches for real-time presentation
of process information to support situation awareness and coordination of
these fast-response medical teams.

In this talk, I will first highlight findings from a series of studies we
performed in a pediatric trauma center to derive system requirements. I
will then describe how we designed and evaluated an information display
prototype through an iterative design process combined with rapid
prototyping and user participation. Although our findings showed the
potential for information displays in this setting, the process also
revealed several design tensions that guided our designs for
interdisciplinary teamwork in a safety-critical environment. For instance,
we found that teams' attitudes towards the system shifted as the design
went from personalized to common displays or when the context-specific
information changed from state-based to checklist-based presentation. I
will conclude by discussing these and other issues relevant to the use of
IT for assisting dynamic work processes such as emergency medical
resuscitations.

Aleksandra Sarcevic is an Assistant Professor of Information Science at the
College of Computing and Informatics at Drexel University, Philadelphia,
Pennsylvania. Her research interests are in computer supported cooperative
work and medical informatics, with a focus on ethnographic studies of
practice and coordination in safety-critical medical settings that inform
technology design and implementation. Her recent work is in the area of
emergency medical resuscitations, where she hopes to reduce errors and
increase teamwork efficiency by introducing a series of technological
interventions. Aleksandra's research is supported by the National
Institutes of Health (NIH) and the National Science Foundation (NSF). She
was awarded a 2013 National Science Foundation Early CAREER Grant to
continue her work on information technology design and development for
fast-response medical teams.

Prior to her appointment at Drexel, Aleksandra was a Postdoctoral Research
Associate at the School of Communication and Information (SC&I) at Rutgers
University, where she also completed her Ph.D. in October 2009. In
2010-2011, Aleksandra was a visiting assistant professor at the University
of Colorado, Boulder, where she worked with Professor Leysia Palen on the
Project EPIC.