HCI Seminar 5/13, Jun Rekimoto, University of Tokyo — A New You: From Augmented Reality to Augmented Human

Michael Bernstein msb at cs.stanford.edu
Mon May 9 06:23:58 PDT 2016

A New You: From Augmented Reality to Augmented Human
Jun Rekimoto, University of Tokyo

May 13, 2016, 12:30-1:30pm, Gates B01 · Open to the public
CS547 Human-Computer Interaction Seminar (Seminar on People, Computers, and
Design)
http://hci.st/seminar
http://cs547.stanford.edu/speaker.php?date=2016-05-13

Traditionally, the field of Human Computer Interaction (HCI) was primarily
concerned with designing and investigating interfaces between humans and
machines. However, with recent technological advances, the concepts of
"enhancing", "augmenting" or even "re-designing" humans themselves are
becoming feasible and serious topics of scientific research as well as
engineering development.

"Augmented Human" is a term that I use to refer to this overall research
direction. Augmented Human introduces a fundamental paradigm shift in HCI:
from human-computer-interaction to human-computer-integration, and out
abilities will be mutually connected through the networks (what we call
IoA, or Internet of Abilities, as the next step of IoT: Internet of
Things).  In this talk, I will discuss rich possibilities and distinct
challenges in enhancing human abilities. I will introduce our recent
projects including design of flying cameras as our remote and external
eyes, a home appliance that can increase your happiness, an organic
physical wall/window that dynamically mediates the environment, and an
immersive human-human connection system called "JackIn."

Jun Rekimoto received his B.A.Sc., M.Sc., and Ph.D. in Information Science
from Tokyo Institute of Technology in 1984, 1986, and 1996, respectively.
Since 1994 he has worked for Sony Computer Science Laboratories (Sony CSL).
In 1999 he formed and directed the Interaction Laboratory within Sony CSL.
Since 2007 he has been a professor in the Interfaculty Initiative in
Information Studies at The University of Tokyo. Since 2011 he also has been
Deputy Director of Sony CSL.

Rekimoto's research interests include human-computer interaction, computer
augmented environments and computer augmented human (human-computer
integration). He invented various innovative interactive systems and
sensing technologies, including NaviCam (a hand-held AR system),  CyberCode
(the world's first marker-based AR system), Augmented Surfaces, HoloWall,
and SmartSkin (two earliest representations of multi-touch systems).  He
received iF Interaction Design Award in 2000, the Japan Inter-Design Award
in 2003, iF Communication Design Award in 2005, Good Design Best 100 Award
in 2012, Japan Society for Software Science and Technology Fundamental
Research Award in 2012, and ACM UIST Lasting Impact Award , Zoom Japon Les
50 qui font le Japon de demain in 2013. In 2007, He also elected to ACM
SIGCHI Academy.