HCI Seminar 5/20, Bjoern Hartmann, UC Berkeley — Interactive Design Tools for the Maker Movement

Michael Bernstein msb at cs.stanford.edu
Mon May 16 09:40:00 PDT 2016

Interactive Design Tools for the Maker Movement
Bjoern Hartmann, UC Berkeley

May 20, 2016, 12:30-1:30pm, Gates B01 · Open to the public
CS547 Human-Computer Interaction Seminar (Seminar on People, Computers, and
Design)
http://hci.st/seminar
http://cs547.stanford.edu/speaker.php?date=2016-05-20

My group's research in Human-Computer Interaction focuses on design,
prototyping and implementation tools for the era of ubiquitous embedded
computing and digital fabrication. We focus especially on supporting the
growing ranks of amateur designers and engineers in the Maker Movement.
Over the past decade, a resurgence in interest how the artifacts in our
world are designed, engineered and fabricated has led to new approaches for
teaching art and engineering; new methods for creating artifacts for
personal use; and new models for launching hardware products. The Maker
Movement is enabled by a confluence of new technologies like digital
fabrication and a sharing ethos built around online tutorials and open
source design files. A crucial missing building block are appropriate
design tools that enable Makers to translate their intent into appropriate
machine instructions - whether code or 3D prints. Makers' expertise and
work practices differ significantly from those of professional engineers -
a reality that design tools have to reflect.

I will present research that enables Makers and designers to rapidly
prototype,  fabricate and program interactive products. Making headway in
this area involves working in both hardware and software. Our group creates
new physical fabrication hardware such as augmented power tools and custom
CNC machines; new design software to make existing digital fabrication
tools more useful; software platforms for the type of connected IoT devices
many Makers are creating; and debugging tools for working at the
intersection of hardware and software. We also create expertise sharing
tools that lower the cost and increase the quality of online tutorials and
videos through which knowledge is disemminated in this community.

Our work on these tools is motivated by our daily experience of teaching
and building in the Jacobs Institute for Design Innovation - a 24,000 sq ft
space for 21st-century design education that opened in 2015. I will give an
overview of institute activities and projects, and how they inform our
research agenda.

Bjoern Hartmann is an Associate Professor in EECS at UC Berkeley. He is the
founding CTO of the new Jacobs Institute for Design Innovation. He
previously co-founded the CITRIS Invention Lab and also co-directs the
Berkeley Institute of Design and the CITRIS Connected Communities
initiative. His research has received numerous Best Paper Awards at top
Human-Computer Interaction conferences, a Sloan Fellowship, an Okawa
Research Award and an NSF CAREER Award. He received Berkeley's Diane S.
McEntyre Award for Excellence in Teaching. He completed his PhD in Computer
Science at Stanford University in 2009, and received degrees in Digital
Media Design, Communication, and Computer and Information Science from the
University of Pennsylvania in 2002.