HCI Seminar 5/27, Joy Kim, Stanford University — Designing Crowdsourcing Techniques Based on Expert Creative Practice

Michael Bernstein msb at cs.stanford.edu
Mon May 23 09:11:45 PDT 2016

Designing Crowdsourcing Techniques Based on Expert Creative Practice
Joy Kim, Stanford University

May 27, 2016, 12:30-1:30pm, Gates B01 · Open to the public
CS547 Human-Computer Interaction Seminar (Seminar on People, Computers, and
Design)
http://hci.st/seminar
http://cs547.stanford.edu/speaker.php?date=2016-05-27

Current crowdsourcing workflows comprise of discrete tasks that guide the
crowd towards predetermined goals. However, this approach is ill-suited
towards supporting massively collaborative open-ended creative work, which
often involves an exploration of possible end results and revision of
creative goals. However, adapting expert creative practice into social
computing and crowdsourcing environments can enable the web to collaborate
at scale on complex creative goals, such as writing short fiction stories.
In this talk, I'll describe four projects through which I'm exploring this
approach -- the first two projects look at how to design creative
collaboration tools around a core expert practice, while the other two
projects look at how we can make expert examples of creative work
accessible sources of strategies to scaffold novices' individual creative
work.

Joy Kim is a PhD candidate in Stanford University's Computer Science
department, where she is advised by Michael Bernstein. Her research work
focuses on designing tools for online collaborative creativity, especially
for non-expert or novice creators. Joy received her B.S. in Computer
Science from the University of Washington in 2011.