HCI Seminar 9/29, Vi Hart and Evelyn Eastmond, Human Advancement Research Community — Year of the Body: Explorations into Embodied Knowledge and AR/VR

Michael Bernstein msb at cs.stanford.edu
Mon Sep 25 16:56:09 PDT 2017

Year of the Body: Explorations into Embodied Knowledge and AR/VR
Vi Hart and Evelyn Eastmond, Human Advancement Research Community

September 29, 2017, 12:30-1:30pm, Gates B1 · Open to the public
CS547 Human-Computer Interaction Seminar (Seminar on People, Computers, and
Design)
http://hci.st/seminar
http://cs547.stanford.edu/speaker.php?date=2017-09-29

It's the Year of the Body for our AR/VR research team. We're using embodied
cognition research to develop insight into knowledge usually labeled as
intuition, bringing light to human capabilities that have been ignored by
technology thus far. We'll talk about some of our project-based
experimentation including a design for a 3D spatial programming language,
interactive virtual museums, and studio art explorations.

Evelyn Eastmond is an artist and researcher exploring the psychology of
trauma through sculpture, performance and new media. She has been adjunct
faculty in Digital+Media at RISD where she also received her MFA. She
received MEng and BS degrees in Computer Science at MIT, where she helped
develop open source frameworks for creative computation including Scratch,
DesignBlocks and p5.js. She is currently researching embodied artistic
experiences in virtual reality. Her work has been exhibited in Boston and
Providence, and the coding frameworks she has contributed to are used
globally and have appeared in the New York Times, BBC, Fast Company and
Wired Magazine.

Vi Hart is a mathemusician and philosopher known primarily for work in
mathematics, musical structure, and social justice. Vi has publications in
computational geometry, symmetry, mathematics and music, mathematical art,
and math education, and is the principle investigator of eleVR, a research
group focused on understanding how virtual and augmented reality technology
can impact how humans think, see, and feel. Vi is the creator of
math-related videos that have together gathered over 100 million views,
including the "Doodling in Math Class" series, "Hexaflexagons", and "Twelve
Tones". Vi is also known as co-creator of "Parable of the Polygons," an
explorable explanation of systemic bias that has been played over 5 million
times.