[protege-dev] [Webprotege] Class renaming issue

Tania Tudorache tudorache at stanford.edu
Mon Dec 15 16:46:16 PST 2014

Hi Pierre,

Thank you for filing the bug.

Just to clarify:

- when changing the display label, it is not expected that the IRI of
the class changes (your bug report says the opposite). The idea is that
the IRIs stay unchanged, but the display label can change without any
serious consequence. That is also the behavior in WebProtege.

I reproduced the bug that if you change the text in the "Display name"
textfield, then the display label does not actually change. WebProtege
uses as default the rdfs:label as the display property, so if you change
the rdfs:label, it actually changes the display name, as expected.

To fix the bug, there are two options: (1) make the "Display name"
textfield not editable (seems the most reasonable solution), or (2) if
the "Display name" textfield is editable, then update the value of the
display property (in this case, rdfs:label), and so, the display name
will be updated.. However solution (2) is much more complicated, because
it means reverse-engineering the text in the "Display name" textfield,
and write the right value in an ontology property. There might be the
case that the display property is an entity (not text), or maybe there
is a display pattern made up of several properties, not a single
property as it is now. In some cases, it might not even possible to
guess the right value from a text, so I am not in favor of (2).

Tania