[protege-dev] Webprotege PropertyFieldPortlet XML key/value pairs (Github Build 110)

Christian Daenekas Christian.Daenekas at offis.de
Wed Feb 26 01:07:23 PST 2014

Dear all,

I checked out the latest Webprotege build 110 from github to explore the
possibilities of using it as a basis for an OWL-based webapplication. I
would like to define my own tabs which basically enable domain users to
edit the underlying Ontology using forms directly relating to the domain
model. I am running the build locally using the tomcat/mongodb setup (os
is Windows7 64) as suggested by the documentation using an OWL2 datamodel
serialized as RDF/XML.

Based on the examples I found here
http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/PropertyFormPortlet I started to
define forms for my ontology in a new user defined tab by modifying the
project specific ui-configuration.xml file. I noticed that as of now the
wiki does not provide an extensive definition of the valid key/value pairs
to be used in context of the portlet definition. So my first question is
if you could provide some kind of reference or cheat sheet for the
configuration of the PropertyFieldPortlet. The wiki suggests you might
provide information on the properties by request, which would be really
nice :).

When I implemented a grid widget similar to the example described on the
wiki page I also noticed that while I was able to show the property values
for individuals of a specific domain class, the editing of property values
unfortunately did not work. While I was able to change values in the user
interface, the changes are not saved to the ontology. For example, after
switching tabs they are reset to the original values before the editing.
The creation of new individuals using the grid widget works, however these
individuals are created as members of owl:Thing and not the domain class
specified by the "ont_type" entry. So unfortunately these individuals also
vanish from the grid widget when it is reloaded and they are also affected
by the problem that property values are not persisted. Is this a known bug
or might this be related to the widget configuration?

Thank you for your efforts.

Greetings,
Christian