[protege-dev] [Protege 3.4] Developing a plugin to visualize the FMA. Have a few question

Tania Tudorache tudorache at stanford.edu
Thu Sep 18 15:23:50 PDT 2014

You probably need to increase the heap size for Protege 5. Edit the
run.sh or run.bat and change the argument -Xmx500M.

I tried it with 4000M, and it loads the FMA owl file in 50 seconds.

You are right, that with the Protege 3 database backend, you would have
a faster load time, but then all operations that would follow
(read/writes) would be slower as they happen in the database. Protege 5
will read the ontology in memory (so you have a longer load time), but
then all following operations would be very fast as they happen in
memory. There is always this trade-off.

I suggested to implement a plugin for Protege 4/5 because this is the
current version. Protege 3 is not under development anymore.

The OWL-API underlying Protege 4/5 is also very well documented and
supported:
http://owlapi.sourceforge.net/

Good luck!
Tania