[protege-dev] Problems saving an OWL-File with Protege 3.5

Csongor Nyulas csnyulas at stanford.edu
Mon May 4 14:18:35 PDT 2015

Hi Dennis,
This is more like a question for the protege-user mailing list. In any
case, here are a few ideas...

There may be different reasons for not being able to save your ontology
correctly. Here are a few question to try to debug the cause.
- First, it would be good to know what format (serialization) you are
trying to save your ontology into.
- Are you getting any exceptions on the console?
- Is it possible that you are trying to modify an OWL 2.0 ontology
(which was created by Protege 4 or 5, for example). Protege 3.5 supports
only OWL 1.1.
- What is the unexpected result that you have observed? You say: "some
metadata  elements  are incorrectly displayed". Can you give us more
detail? What do you see displayed, and what did you expect instead?
- Can you maybe share the ontology with us?

Although the latest Desktop Protege version (5.0 beta) does not have
SRWLTab, yet, but it has a Rules view (you can find it under Windows ->
Views -> Ontology views) that can be added to any tab, and which allows
you to write SWRL rules. Many reasoners (such as Hermit and Pellet) take
into consideration the SWRL rules as well, when they are executed. So if
you are not using special build-ins that are not supported by the
reasoners available in Protege 5, I would definitely give it a try.

Csongor