[protege-dev] [OWLAPI-developer] difference between "owlapi-osgidistribution" and "owlapi-distribution" (Ignazio Palmisano)

Simon Spero sesuncedu at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 08:33:24 PST 2017

[I've been making a lot of OSGI related chamhes for the next owlapi, so I
will take this one]

OSGI is a very complicated way of doing simple things. Or it's a very
simple way of doing complicated things. The important thing is, it's a way
of doing things, so you need to do some things the OSGI way.

One of the most fundamental concepts in OSGI is the Bundle. A Bundle is a
component of a software system. It can provide services and java packages
to a system;  conversely it can consume services and packages from other
bundles loaded into the same system. Any package that is not exported from
a bundle can only be accessed from within that bundle.

Each Bundle  must be explicit about what it offers, and what it needs;
however a Bundle  is not responsible for saying how it's requirements are
to be met.

Bundles are generally packaged as jar files, with special metadata in the
manifest. This metadata is usually generated by the build system.
The build system can be configured to embedded every depend class inside
the bundle that is being built ; however that is not generally the best way
of putting together an OSGI system; it makes the jar file bigger, and may
make it harder to use alternative packages.
The other approach is to install bundles providing those packages into the
running system. If the dependency is already a bundle, you can just deploy
that ; otherwise you can run a wrap command to create a minimalist bundle.

You can deploy these  bundles by putting them in one of the directories
protégé loads its bundles from e.g. the plugins  directory.

There are more sophisticated ways of deploying bundles and their
dependencies, but they require a few changes to the protégé launcher (these
include url handlers that can deploy a bundle direct from maven central,
and revolvers that can map from package requirements to bundle URLs.

Simon

Simon